Created Date: November 10, 2012
Category: Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2012
Tuesday October 9, 2012
Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 53 people (including 2 ‘new bees’) present.
The president, Brian Campbell, welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order at 7:35 pm
- Ric Erikson made a motion to adopt the September 11 minutes and it was seconded by Jeff Lee
- Paul Smedley gave a short report on the Western Apiculture Society Conference that he attended in Seattle on Oct 4-6. He outlined some information on the Queen Bee cooperative in New Mexico from one of the sessions he attended as well as some other interesting highlights. The 2013 conference will be held in Santa Fe, New Mexico and is highly recommended.
- Eric Crosby gave a short synopsis of a talk he attended at the Langley Bee Club by Werner Gysi
- Werner, originally from Switzerland, is a bee keeper from the Enderby area.
- His talk focused on natural techniques he uses to keep his hives mite free.
- Eric suggested it would be worthwhile to have Werner do a presentation for the RBA as well.
- Eric also gave a short overview on a conversation he had with Kirk Webster regarding treatment free management techniques.
- Brian outlined the question on whether the club should become an Incorporated Non Profit Society?
- There would be nominal costs and a number of benefits to doing this.
- This would also give the opportunity for a possible name change? Changing the name to something more inclusive for all in the lower mainland (Metro Vancouver Bee Club, or Greater Vancouver Bee Club) was suggested.
- Some discussion ensued and members wanted reasons why this would be beneficial. Brian pointed out that we have more recognition as a Society and as the club becomes larger we need better organization and legitimacy.
- A full report on what is involved to become a Society and whether or not to take this step will be the topic of the November meeting. All members are encouraged to attend and a vote will be taken at the November Meeting.
- A motion was made by Robert Mitten to start the November meeting at 7:00 pm as there will be much to discuss. The motion was seconded by Jeff Lee and approved by all.
- Members were reminded about the BC Honey Producers Conference which will be taking place in Kamloops between November 8-10.
- 2013 membership dues can now be paid. Members were reminded about the Bee Mobile that will be raffled at the December meeting for all those who are paid up for 2013 in advance!
- The candle making date has been set for December 1 and will be discussed at the November meeting.
- We had a lively draw with a number of extra prizes being given away…including a beautiful banner, bee cosmetic products and even complimentary tickets to the home show.
- After coffee break we had speaker Amanda van Haga. Amanda presented us with the latest facts about the impacts of Nosema ceranae on honey bee health and also discussed various treatments.
- Meeting was adjourned at 9:15 pm
- Next meeting November 13, note 7:00 pm start!