Created Date: February 13, 2018
Category: Meeting Minutes
Minutes for February 13, 2018
Minutes for Date: February 13th, 2018
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 pm
There were 40 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:32 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction by Shaidah Karim
- There were 3 “New bees” attending.
- Members were encouraged to buy raffle tickets.
- Approval of January minutes
- Motion to approve January 2017 minutes by Ian Rokeby. Seconded by Miriam Soet.
- Russian Queens
- Steve Bailey updated everyone on the order being made for Russian Queens. The cost will be $70 per queen. Anyone interested please contact Steve to get on the list to reserve a queen.
- 2018 Executive:
- President – Shaidah Karim
- Vice President – Winston Wong
- Secretary – Christina Faminoff
- Treasurer – Barbara Rokeby
- Webmaster and Newsletter Coordinator – Ian Cavén
- Members at Large – Eric Crosby, Fiona Gold, Jean Stewart, Leslie Williams
- Treasurer’s Report
- The RBA currently has $8918.79 in the account.
- Motion to approve the 2018 budget made by Hugo Palle, Seconded by Steve Bailey.
- Speakers for 2018 year
- If anyone has any suggestions for speakers or topics for meetings, or weekend workshop ideas, please reach out to someone on the executive.
- Website/Microscope update
- Winston Wong described using the microscope to observe Nosema in a dead bee sample.
- Ian called to the membership to get in touch with him with any suggestions regarding the website.
- A suggestion was made by the membership to create a contact list for the website for those who are interested in having their contact info listed for other members. Membership will revisit this idea at a future meeting.
- BC Bees discussion forum
- Just a reminder to everyone that the BC Bees forum is meant for discussion about bees and everything related to bees.
- Seed Bank
- Winston informed the membership that the seeds collected last year will be brought to the next meeting. Anyone interested in swapping seeds please bring them in with you.
- Upcoming Events
- BCHPA Semi-Annual AGM is on March 9 & 10 in Kamloops. The keynote speaker is Andony Methalopoulos from the Department of Horticulture at Oregon State University. Other speakers include Bill Stagg, Heather Higo, Carlos Castillo, and Leonard Foster. More info can be found on bcbeekeepers.com.
- Bees & Beers will be held on February 27/18, 6:30pm at Toby’s near Commercial Drive Station. Come out to socialize with your fellow beekeepers.
- Next Club Meeting will be held on March 13, 2018.
- Thanks to Previous Treasurer and President
- Thanks were given to Fiona for her work as our 2017 president.
- Thanks were also given to Miriam Soet for her hard work as RBA Treasurer.
- Coffee & Raffle
- Presenter: Randy Charlston: Presenting his experience with the Flow hive
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:01pm… Carried
- Next Meeting: March 13th, 2018