Created Date: April 10, 2018
Category: Meeting Minutes
Minutes for April 10, 2018
The Richmond Beekeepers Association
Minutes for Date: Apr 10th, 2018
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 pm
There were 48 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:32 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction by Shaidah Karim
- There were 3 “New bees” attending.
- Approval of February minutes
- Motion to approve March 2017 minutes made by Blair Trenholme. Seconded by Ihor Pona.
- Members were encouraged to purchase raffle tickets.
- Last months raffle income was $345.
- Thanks to Steve Bayley and Mike Munro of Delta Honey Farms for last months grand prize, and thanks to Urban Bee Supplies for donating this months grand prize.
- Name tags
- Members were reminded to return name tags at the end of the meeting.
- Members were encouraged to approach the executive with any suggestions for speakers or topics for monthly meetings or weekend workshops.
- Members were asked if there was any interest in a full day workshop by Making Money from Honey. There was no expressed interest, or any comments, so we will not be bringing in this group.
- Next months speaker will be Ali McAfee on Hygienic Bees.
- The RBA currently has $9169.92 in the account.
- Income in March was $300 for membership dues, $345 for raffle tickets $15.30 from coffee, total $660.30.
- Expenditures were: $40 for BC society annual report, $50 gift card from MEC for a gift, $81.25 for web hosting, and $50 for raffle prizes.
- The RBA will be setting up a library of old magazines and books at the Kinsman pavilion. Members will be welcome to borrow items. Members can donate beekeeping books if they like. Please return items for others to use.
- Seed Bank
- Ian Cavén brought in the seed bank. Members were encouraged to take, donate, or swap seeds.
- Bees and Beers
- The next bees and beers meeting will be held at River’s Reach Pub in New Westminster on April 24 at 6:30.
- Swarm List
- A piece of paper was set up for members to sign up for the swarm list.
- Over Winter Survey
- Alan Wong presented the results of his survey on winter losses.
- 45 people replied to the survey, with a total of 266 hives. There were 72 dead outs, a loss of 27% of total colonies.
- 34% or respondents had 5 colonies or less, vs. 24% who had 6 colonies or more.
- 49% treated vs. 51% non treatment.
- Thanks to Alan for taking on this project. It was very insightful.
- The motorized extractor has been repaired (Thanks Winston!!) and both the motorized and hand crank extractors are available at Winston Wong’s store – BC Bee Supply.
- Steve Blenkhorn mentioned that pollination contracts are $150/hive.
- Coffee & Raffle
Presenters: Queen Rearing with Phil Laflamme
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:10pm… Carried
- Next Meeting: May 8th, 2018