Created Date: May 07, 2015
Category: Meeting Minutes
April 14, 2015
Minutes for Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 63 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:39 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction
- Motion to approve minutes from last meeting. Made by Steve Bailey, seconded by Leslie Williams.
- We had 4 new bees in attendance!
- Special Extra Meeting
- Amanda and Fiona Gold announced a special meeting on Tuesday April 28th, presenting information on Neonicotinoids and the recent developments toward stricter regulation in Ontario. Lisa Gue, an environmental scientist working for the David Suzuki Foundation, and Gwen Bartlett, of the Western Wilderness Committee, will be presenting.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Chequing account…$6092
- Total funds….$8127.39
- There was a discussion regarding the purchase of a new extractor. The old one has been repaired and will be kept as a backup. Steve Bailey who has kindly made the repairs, suggested purchasing a new one with a belt drive versus gears that may wear.
- Motion to purchase a 4 frame extractor valued $600-800 was made by Miram, seconded by Eric.
- Tom Seeley
- Tim announced that unfortunately Tom Seeley is unable to attend Vancouver in April 2016, for a presentation.
- Tim asked that the membership provide names of speakers they might like to see present. The upcoming RBA survey will provide an opportunity to do so.
- Survey Monkey
- Amanda discussed the survey that has been made, it will be sent out to all good standing members.
- BCHPA update
- Jeff Lee announced an upcoming lecture by Heather Higo on Integrated Pest Managment- May 30, 1pm. Please refer to the BCHPA website for more details.
- Iotron update
- Darlene announced that the Iotron run was successful and that there would be 2 more runs in the fall.
- Eric Crosby
- 5 frame nucs available in 2 weeks.
- Coffee Break & Raffle at 8:10pm
- Presentation: Learning Station Rotation
- Steve Bailey and Mike- How to make split and build boxes
- Eric Crosby- Making Queens
- Julia Common- Beginner Basics
- Jeff Lee- How to make a Swarm Kit
- Tim Monaghan- Treatment Free Beekeeping Management
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:10… Carried
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 12, 2015