Created Date: April 06, 2016
Category: Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2016
Minutes for Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 81 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:35 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction by President Tim Monaghan
- Thank you to Lesley Williams for her participation in the newsletter by being our new “What’s in Bloom” writer. She provided an amazing write up for the March newsletter, with not only what’s in bloom, but identifying the pollens that the bees are bringing in and the flowers that they come from.
- to approve and adopt the minutes of the February 9th meeting
- motion made by Julia Common, seconded by Gail
- Minutes approved, Carried
- Nametags: At the beginning of each meeting please get your nametag from the table; all tags have your name and the city you live in. This allows everyone to make connections within or outside of their residing cities. Please return nametags at the end of every meeting.
- Julia Common from Hives for Humanity spoke about the fundraiser they’re doing at SFU on March 10, 2016 called Pollinators & People in the City. This is featuring Mark Winston and Elizabeth Elle as guest speakers.
- Newbees: we had a total of 14 this month!!! (I think that’s record breaking!)
- Propolis Workshop Report by Amanda Goodman Lee
- Stefan Stangaciu held an informative workshop at the Honey Bee Center on Propolis. This included the benefits, how to use it, and how to extract it. There is another class on bee venom on April 8-9,2016
- Canadian Apitherapy Association Meeting update from Fiona Gold
- On Feb 18-22, 2016 the first Canadian Apitherapy Association was founded in Nelson B.C. Approximately 20 people were at the conference.
- Treasurer’s Report from Miriam Soet
- Funds in account at the end of month…$8206.28
- We will be switching banks from Coast Capital Savings to VanCity in the next 2 weeks.
- Observation Hive at the Kinsmen Pavilion
- A surprise to many, including most of the executive, there is an observation hive at the Nature house where our meetings are held. We are in talks to see if we might be able to utilize the hive for demonstrations prior to meetings. More info to come as we hear back about this.
- Tim Monaghan met with the Comox Valley Bee Club that helped run last year’s BCHPA AGM, he discussed the challenges they faced, the number of volunteers they needed and what worked well for them. This is in preparation of us helping to host this year’s AGM in the Lower Mainland. It will be held Oct 13-16,2016, a location has yet to be solidified.
- The next iotron run will be on March 17. Items can be dropped off from March 11-16 at the iotron location. More information can be found on the RBA website. https://richmondbeekeepersca.wordpress.com/
- Please note that all items need to be prepaid through Darlene Scribilo
- Coffee Break & Raffle
- Presentation: Varroa mites: Treatment Vs. Non treatment.
- Julia Common, Lindsay Dault and Eric Crosby spoke on the spring treatment of the varroa mite, and the options you have-Treatment Vs. Non Treatment.
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:32 …. Carried
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 12, 2016