Created Date: March 03, 2016
Category: Meeting Minutes
February 9, 2016
Minutes for Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 PM
There were 81 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:40 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction by our new President Tim Monaghan
- Tim moved to approve minutes of the January meeting
- motion made by Steve Bailey, seconded by Hilary Prince
- Treasurer’s Report
- Funds in account at the end of month $8218.98
- RBA 2016 budget reviewed by Miriam Soet, proposed honey house teaching project.
- Miriam tabled motion to move RBA accounts from Coast Capital Savings to Vancity Savings (as they are more in line with our values)
- Approved by Hugh Mawby and seconded by Allen Garr.
- RBA Particiaption on the BCHPA AGM
- Tim discussed the possible involvement of the RBA at the BCHPA AGM at Pacific Gateway Hotel in October. Advantages include: waived fees for all volunteers, a % of the earnings will go directly to the RBA, as the Courtney Club generated 8-9k for their club last year. Possible speakers include Tom Seeley & Olympic Wilderness Apiary. Bob Fisher expressed his support of this and how good it would be for the club.
- Motion proposed by Tim that the RBA provides volunteer help for the BCHPA AGM.
- Approved by Hugh, seconded by Sal.
- Jeff Lee will take the news to the BCHPA
- BCHPA Semi-Annual Conference
- Jeff Lee discussed the upcoming BCHPA semi annual meeting in Kamloops, where they will be reviewing a new constitution. Tours of bee breeding facilities, Patricia Wolfleg will review National Bee survey. Stephan Stengaciu might speak. Also on the table for education is: Small hive beetle, nuc checks to Alberta, Africanized bees and snakes. There may be a possibility of live streaming which they will be looking into.
- Darlene reviewed the iotron run coming up. Info is on the RBA website, preferred payment is via e-transfer.
- Turning of the thrown….
- Tim recognized Amanda Goodman Lee for her service as President of the RBA over the past 2 years. She received a gift and flowers on behalf of the RBA membership. Thank you Amanda!
- Coffee Break & Raffle
- Presentation: Stephan Stengauciu
- Stephan is an Apitherapist from Romania; he spoke about the medicinal products from the hive.
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:50 Carried
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 8, 2016