Created Date: November 14, 2017
Category: Meeting Minutes
Minutes for November 14, 2017
The Richmond Beekeepers Association
Minutes for Date: Nov 14th, 2017
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 pm
There were 47 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:36pm.
- Welcome and introduction of Newbees
- There were 3 “Newbees” in attendance.
- October 2017 minutes
- Motion to approve October 2017 minutes made by Steve Bailey, seconded by Laura Hughes.
- Treasurer’s Report
- RBA account currently at $12,611.93.
- There are a number of expenses pending including the Kirk Webster venue, the microscope, and the new extractor.
- After all the expenses are paid up the cost will end up being roughly $1200 for the Kirk Webster event.
- Kirk Webster/BCHPA Conference
- BCHPA conference in Kelowna – Members discussed the recent Conference in Kelowna. There were a number of very interesting speakers involving such topics as bear fencing, overwintering bees in 1 box, mating challenges in the interior, and mite treatment developments by Monsanto.
- Kirk Webster workshop – Members discussed Kirk’s isolated mating yard, nuc making process, Changes in management to accommodate Varroa, and overwintering mini-nucs.
- Steve Bailey discussed a Canadian source of Russian queens. He is putting together an order that should arrive mid July (should they have enough queens available). Anyone interested in purchasing Russian queens please contact Steve to get added to the list.
- Winston has ordered the parts and is waiting for an update from the supplier.
- The executive has ordered the new Maxant hand crank extractor.
- Microscope purchase
- Shaidah has got the new Microscope, and will be doing a tutorial on how to use it in the new year.
- Club items for borrow
- The RBA owns numerous items that can be borrowed by members. It’s been suggested that we photograph the items and create a lending library for the website.
- Items available: Silicone wax foundation molds, 2 extractors, candle molds, and a corker for wine/mead
- Speaker suggestions
- Just a reminder to club members to pass along any ideas or suggestions for speakers or presentation topics to the executive. Suggested speakers will be vetted by the executive.
- Candle-Making event
- Event will be held 1 – 4pm Saturday November 18th at the Richmond Sharing Farm in Terra Nova.
- Thank you to Shaidah for setting up the Eventbrite page. Tickets will be available until November 17th. There are 30 tickets available. Each ticket holder may make 10 tealights, 2 balloon luminaries, and 2 tapered candles.
- We have received feedback from the membership that previous candle making events were chaotic and disorganized. This year’s event has been streamlined to 3 stations that attendees will rotate between. Every candle maker will require a ticket. Children who will not be making candles, but just accompanying parents who are making candles don’t require a ticket, but any children who are making candles of their own will require a ticket. Attendees will not be charged by the weight of the wax.
- Event will start promptly at 1pm.
- Thank you to Leslie for donating space at the Sharing Farm for this event, and to the members of the club who have volunteered to run it.
- Reminder to wear old clothes and to bring a box to take your candles home in. Hot wax can cause burns so if you bring children please mind them carefully around the wax.
- Judy Rochette volunteered 2 hot plates for the event.
- Members were reminded to read the November newsletter. The most recent issue has recipes for lip balm and salve.
- Christmas Social
- The December meeting will be a Christmas social. There will be no newsletter. Venue TBA
- The January meeting will be the AGM. The speaker will be Dominique Weis, Director of Pacific Centre for Isotopic and Geochemical Research.
- The executive is looking for someone to help with the IT position for 2018. Any interested parties please contact Fiona.
- Coffee Break and Raffle
- Speaker: The speaker scheduled was Alison McAfee, UBC PhD student. She was meant to present Leonard Foster’s latest research on “Hygienic Behaviour in Bees”. Unfortunately Alison was not able to attend due to illness. Instead of a presentation, members split up into 4 discussion groups, each with a different commercial beekeeper from the membership. We will try to reschedule Alison again to present in the future.
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:28 pm… Carried
- Next Meeting: Winter social event – Tuesday, December 12th 2017