Created Date: September 11, 2018
Category: Meeting Minutes
Minutes for September 11, 2018
Meeting held in Kinsmen Pavilion at Richmond Nature Park, 7:30 pm
There were 44 people in attendance.
Meeting called to order at 7:38 pm.
- Welcome : Opening Remarks and Introduction by Shaidah Karim
- There was 1 “New bee” attending.
- Approval of May minutes
- Motion to approve May 2018 minutes made by Steve Bayley. Seconded by Laurie Hughs.
- Motion carried.
- BCHPA AGM
- This year’s BCHPA AGM will be held in Victoria on October 26-28. For details please visit bchoneyproducers.ca.
- Members were encouraged to purchase raffle tickets from Jean Stewart.
- Treasurer’s Report
- The RBA currently has $8686.71 in the account.
- We have $40 in memberships to deposit and $50 in the coffee fund.
- Table at Kinsman Christmas Fair
- Fiona informed the membership of an invitation by the Nature Park to host a table at their Christmas fair on December 2nd 2018 from 11-4pm to sell crafts and bee related products. The Nature Park would receive 10% of sales not to exceed $20.
- Leslie informed the membership that there are still some magazines left in the RBA library to borrow. Members please feel free to borrow them.
- Seed Bank
- Winston Wong discussed the plan to start collecting seeds again in January for the seed swap. Anyone with seeds to share was encouraged to bring them to meetings over the winter.
- Bees and Beers
- Jean Stewart informed the membership of the next bees and beers meeting which will be held at Firefighters Hall in Burnaby on September 25 at 6:30.
- Field Day
- There were approximately 40 attendees at the field day this year, and great presentations by a number of people. Thank you to all those who presented. Shaidah brought the leftover ice cream to the meeting for members.
- Candle Making Workshop
- Winston asked the membership for feedback on whether there should be a candle making workshop this year.
- Around ⅔ of members voted in favour of holding the event this year.
- 2019 Executive
- Shaidah Karim discussed next year’s executive. Positions available on the RBA executive for 2019 include President, Secretary, IT manager, and member at large.
- Education fund
- Alan Garr informed the membership of the passing of Arnie Axon. It was suggested that the various beekeeping clubs contribute a few hundred dollars each towards a beekeeping education fund in his name.
- Motion to contribute to this fund was made by Steve Bayley, and seconded by Hugh Mawby
- Motion passed.
- Coffee & Raffle
Presenter: Paul Van Westendorp
- Motion to Adjourn: 9:45pm… Carried
- Next Meeting: October 9th, 2018